In Year 2, the children develop their independent learning approaches within a supportive and considerate environment. The Year 2 team work closely together to create an exciting and connected curriculum that inspires children to embrace learning challenges.
2 Rousseau – Mrs Sinclair, Ms Jones, Mrs Hinde and Mrs Caine
2 Matisse – Miss McDonnell and Miss Crocker
2 Monet – Miss Barker and Miss Peal
· Reading books are changed every Tuesday and Thursday. Children need to bring their reading books to school each day.
· Children will visit the school library every Wednesday
· Our PE days are flexible so the days may change. Therefore, please ensure your child has their PE kit in school (clearly labelled) with trainers that they can fasten independently. In the colder months the children will need appropriate clothing for the cold weather.
· Super-Learner Mission books are due back on Thursday.
· Our weekly spelling quiz is on a Friday morning and the following week’s spellings will be handed out on Tuesdays.
You will find our curriculum information further down the page!
Adding and taking away using a blank number line
- Published: Sunday, 11 November 2018 11:23
- Written by Year Two
The children have been learning to add and take away this term.
We have been using concrete resources known as Base Ten. The tens are in a long strip and the ones are individual cubes. The children have started to draw these and then use them to help them add. The tens are draw as a line and the ones are drawn as a dot. Ask your children to show you.
The next step is to drawn a blank number line and add the tens and the ones together.
Click on the links below to be directed to videos to help you.
Video to ADD
Video to TAKE AWAY
Year 2 Blog Posts
Helping at Home
Ways to help at home
- Read every day
- Practise your spellings and common exception words
- As you read spot the sounds in words, can you find digraphs (two letters that make one sound) and trigraphs (three letters that make one sound)?
- Count in 2s, 5s and 10s forwards and backwards
- Learn your number bonds for all numbers to 20 (e.g number bonds to 7 are 1+6, 2+5, 3+4, etc.)
- Practise telling the time to the hour, quarter past, half past, quarter to and as an extra challenge to 5 minute intervals (five past, ten past etc.)
- Practise letter formation using the correct pencil grip and develop fine motor skills (peg pressing, picking pasta shells/rice with tweezers)